Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Van Cleef & Arpels advertisement


This is also a long time un-favorite. I mean, lets think about this... Van Cleef & Arpels, a fine jewellery luxury brand. Probably competing for the market share along Cartier and Tiffany & Co. And yet every single time I see this ad, it just makes me think of either some kind of detergent or air freshener. I think it must be the blue skies and the green grass that automatically makes me think of fresh air, endless pastures and milky clouds... Hang on a minute.. now that I think about it... May be it's not detergent at all, may be it is Milka chocolate or a yoghurt... hmmm

In any case, fine jewellery is the last thing that comes to mind. There are just so many questions that I have about this ad: why is she blowing bubbles? bubbles - soapy? what's the message here? Also what's with the haircut? That fringe... I don't think it looks anything like the demographic that VC&A are aiming for. She does not look like a sophisticated, well-to-do Park Avenue lady.. She looks like a girl next door, possibly who sells ice-cream for some part-time cash.. There it is again! Dairy, ice-cream, cows... I just can't get away from it! Anyhow, it would be interesting to find out how successful this campaign was because to me it makes no sense whatsoever! 

No comments: