Thursday, April 21, 2011

Old Flame - Lilly Allen for Chanel - RANT


This ad is no longer relevant because it is from yonks years ago but it is an old flame for me - it just always really bothered me. It's not even that I mind Lilly Allen so much, it is Lilly Allen in combination with Chanel that had ticked me off. Lilly Allen is/was a pop star, a very successful one at that but a pop star nonetheless. Chanel is an icon, a mecca, the holy grail of fashion. I know uncle Karl said that he picked Lilly because she is a self-made woman but there is so much more to it than that. For me personally, this was a disappointment in Chanel more than anything. Chanel stands for elegance, heritage, femininity, status. Lilly Allen, as nice as she is, stands for none of those things (or at least she didnt until her magical Chanel makeover). It just did not make sense to me. Lilly is a jolly english girl who likes a drink and a laugh and doesnt take herself too seriously. As great as that is - that is not enough for Chanel. No matter how drastic the makeover, she is still Lilly Allen - a brand name in her own right, but a brand name that represents nothing of what Chanel is all about. Sorry Lilly! Not happy, uncle Karl! 

1 comment:

the nyanzi report said...

So true. I agree with your great analysis.