Monday, April 25, 2011

Karen Millen - SS2011 Campaign - Rave

Karen Millen has really impressed me with their campaign this season. For a high street brand they have managed to come up with a classy, well-styled ad and well-cast ad campaign.

Firstly, lets talk about the model. Jess Hart - a smart choice for a number of reasons. She is an established face who got some great exposure through her cameos in The City… which, if you think about it, would be the program watched by the brand's target market. At the same time she is not too big so she is not immediately associated with any of the bigger fashion brands. And finally, Jess' look is very much a 'top-end model' look so it doesn't make the campaign look tacky or cheap but rather takes into a more high-fashion territory. Jess has done a great job on this one.

Secondly, the campaign is well styled. Bursting with colour but keeping the minimalist and clean lines it is simple yet eye-catching. I love how the bright background is used to accentuate the clothes.

Finally, this campaign is successful because it has focused Karen Millen's strongest points. I say this because looking at the campaign you get a story of a sophisticated high street brand which is affordable yet has an edge and is not as huge as the likes of Topshop or H&M. In reality, at least for me, Karen Millen is a bit of a hit'n'miss brand. Every time I walk into the store I find a small number of items that I love and a slightly higher number of items that make me cringe because of their tackiness. It's like some of the clothes should have a disclaimer attached: "best worn with fake tan and excessive jewellery". Like the much loathed layer-cake dress in Barbie pink from last season's collection.

In any case, I very much think that the brand is moving in the right direction and although the SS2011 collection (I mean the clothes here rather than the campaign) for me is an obvious amalgamated version of LV Resort 2011 and Prada SS2011, I do not think it should take away from the great job that Karen Millen has done this season. The brand should be proud, as their campaign is of a high standard and looks on par even with the heavyweights of the industry when it appears on the pages of glossies.

Karen Millen SS2011:






Louis Vuitton Resort:
Prada SS2011:


1 comment:

LC said...

Love the Karen Millen collection!