Monday, May 16, 2011

Kate Moss for Parisienne by YSL - Rant



Parisienne - 2011 ad campaign

I actually had the exact same thoughts last year when the first Parisienne fragrance came out, except back then I didn't have this blog. Well now I do, and Parisienne is having a re-run.

Kate Moss, aka ‘the love of my life’, the most stylish, my most admired is once again the face of Parisienne by YSL fragrance campaign.

I had mixed feelings when I saw this last year and I have the same feelings about it now. On the one hand, I love Kate Moss and she can do no wrong. On the other hand, I laugh at the fact that Kate, the ultimate Brit, the ex-face of Burberry (i mean, how more Brit can you get?!) is now also the "ultimate Parisienne"?!

I don’t really care if the message YSL is trying to send is ‘anyone can be a Parisian’ or ‘its your style that makes you Parisian’ or whatever it might be… I say – DOWN WITH THIS FASHION GLOBALISATION! Why is it that stereotypes are bad?? Some times they can be good.. Like the stereotypical French/Parisian lady.. the one who is meant to ooze elegance and chic and the je-ne-sais-qoui.

Like Audrey Tatou.. or Melanie Laurent.. or Marion Cotillard...

Kate Moss is a legend - not doubt about that. But in my humble opinion she was a wrong choice for this particular campaign. That is all. 
Parisienne - 2010 ad campaign

4 comments:

Dreamer said...

i so love kate moss!
x
www.lechevrenoir.blogspot.com

Style With K said...

oh i would like to taste that parfum!



kisses from La Mode En Rose = )

fashion bucket. said...

she really is beautiful. no matter which way you twist it. i guess i had never really thought about the advertisement as much as you had (the whole british/parisian thing) but you make a very valid point! i don't link her with the ideals of paris at all!

-fb X

http://fashionbucketblog.blogspot.com

Sweet Pea (formerly Alice) said...

I couldn't agree me, and that's also coming from an ardent KM fan.


Just a Silhouette